Are your garage doors making creaking noises when opened and closed? If so, it could be an indication that the rollers on the doors need to be oiled or are deteriorated which is even more important for your family’s safety.
Similar to joints in your knees, garage door rollers support the weight of the doors when opened and closed. However, your garage doors don’t get a warm-up period before being subjected to the weight of opening and closing.
In case you didn’t know: 1 opening + 1 closing of your garage door is called a cycle.
Do you know how much your garage door works? This video will show you. We gauged your garage door’s daily tasks.
Keeping your family safe is the ultimate reason for even minimal maintenance is extremely important. Additionally, preventative maintenance provides smoother, quieter operation and an extended life of the door. Listening to the sounds the garage door makes and watching its performance are essential as well.
Here, in this blog, explained by a professional technician who services garage doors are the In essential maintenance actions he suggests for maintaining garage door rollers; indicators that suggest replacement and his method of replacing garage door rollers.
First –What Kind of Garage Door Rollers Do You Have on Your Garage Door?
3 standard kinds of rollers:
- Black Rubber : Suggested for doors under ten foot wide and that do not have ball bearings.
- Steel rollers : Suggested for rollers with at least ten ball bearings.
- Nylon rollers : Quieter rollers with twelve ball bearings, these are for single or double rollers.
Rollers 2-inch in size are in 99% of residential garage doors.
Before Starting to Work, Always Cut Off the Power!
Prior to beginning Work Always Turn the Power Off:
· Turn power off
· Pull garage door plug out of receptacle.
If you stand under the garage door to work, you are inviting problems!
Devote the little time it takes to prevent death! It’s not cowardly. It is intelligent.
How to Lubricate Your Garage Door Rollers?
Never, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, USE OIL ON YOUR GARAGE ROLLER!!! Regardless of the material, Nylon, Steel or Rubber.
Oil lubricants are degreasers, the complete opposite of what you noisy garage door rollers need. It would be like giving you bread when you are in need of water, it makes no sense.
Unless the rollers are made of steel, a silicone-based lubricate should always be used to care for your garage door rollers.
- Steel Rollers : The ball bearings should be lubricated directly in the Lubricate the ball bearings directly, in the deepest part of the roller.
Nylon Rollers with Exposed Bearings
: Spread the lubricating material at the junction of the rollers
and shaft and on the outside of the roller.
- Nylon Rollers with Sealed Ball Bearings : Smart choice! These rollers will last the life of the garage door without needing lubricated.
- Apply the lubricant using the straw that is provided with the can.
- Apply thin coats.
- Use a clean cloth to remove excess lubricant IMMEDIATELY.
- The rollers have to tumble, not glide, in the pathway.
- Manufacturers suggest roller maintenance semi-annually.
While you have supplies on hand and ready to use, procced with
- Hinge : This is where it opens and closes
- Arm Bars
- Bearing Plates
- Springs : While the springs also need lubrication, AS A HOMEOWNER, DO NOT DO THIS. The tension placed on the springs is dangerously high. This creates a very dangerous situation that can be life threatening.
Don’t risk death, call a service technician who is trained in garage doors for your garage door maintenance .
Should You Go with Nylon or Steel?
Should you use nylon or steel if you are replacing your garage door rollers.?
Garage door rollers made of nylon are
somewhat more costly than steel rollers.
However, nylon rollers are:
- Less Noisy
- Last more than 10 years.
Tim, from GarageTransformed, says that ,steel rollers are:
- Likely to rust and corrode.
- Maintenance intensive
- Only good for up to 5 years
How to Replace Garage Door Rollers in 5 Steps
Safety Rider : NEVER ATTEMP TO REPLACE GARAGE DOOR ROLLERS ALONE, IT IS A VERY DANGEROUS TASK.
The bolts that attach the bottom piece to the garage door should NEVER be loosened, and the cable should NEVER be removed.
Failure to heed these If you do not follow these cautions may result in THE SPRING SNAPPING, the door jamming or falling. This could lead to damage to property and/or injury to yourself or others or even death. Regard this as your warning .
Replacing garage door rollers is dangerous due to these factors:
- Garage door weight
- Spring tension
When your garage door rollers need replaced, it is probably time for overall maintenance. This is the best reason to contact your local garage door & opener technician when part replacement or regular service is needed.
First – Remove the garage door electrical cord from the power receptacle.
This stops the door from being accidentally activated during your work.
Second – Use a winding bar to unwind the springs.
For your safety, the best practice to remove and replace the springs and hinges is with the door pulled down; however, unwind the springs prior.
Lock the cable in position with a vice grip.
Third – Take the garage door rollers off.
- Untighten the screws from the hinge that holds the roller.
- Lightly hit the hinge with a hammer until the hinge releases.
- IMPORTANT – Replace the hinge and rollers one set at a time. These hold the door in place and if more than one set is removed, the door could fall.
- Take the old rollers out.
Fourth – Install your new garage door roller replacement
- Glide the roller into the right hole.
- Angle the roller back into its path.
- Place the hinge over holes for the bolt.
- It is suggested that you use Loctites or larger screws.
- Lightly hit the bolts from outside and back through the holes in the hinge then secure the nut.
- Tap the bolts back from the outside through the hinge holes
Do this process for all rollers. After completing all roller replacements, move to the next step in the process.
Fifth – Coil the springs back to their starting position
- Fine-tune tension if needed
- Take the vice grip off the shaft.
You Want Professionals Handling Your Garage Door Rollers Replacement and Your Garage Door Maintenance?
You probably weren’t aware of the danger involved with garage doors and the spring tension? Perhaps now you have been educated on the knowledge and skill required to perform garage door maintenance and repairs.
Call us !
We are proficient and passionate about garage doors and garage door
We have expert technicians ready to help.
Do you know what services you need? We can provide you email quote.
Are you considering a complete garage door replacement?
You can get the garage door you've always wanted quickly and easily.